Monday, February 27, 2006

Fair Winds

It is with a great sadness that I learned of the passing of both Don Knotts:



and Darren McGavin (the dad from A Christmas Story):


As with Scotty I won't spend time trying to eulogize these wonderful entertainers -- I didn't know them and would never be up to the task. But you are up to the task. The best way to eulogize someone you never met is to learn a little bit about them and remember what you do know about them. Such interested attention is what sets many down the road to theatre, so I imagine it's an effort they would posthumously appreciate.

So... take the 4 or 5 minutes that you would otherwise spend poking around this blog (you do stay for at least 4 or 5 minutes, right... right???) and google these men a bit.

Here are a few good links to start with:
http://www.darrenmcgavin.net/
http://www.donknotts.tv/

I know that the only halcyon days are those long past, but Don Knotts struck me, always, as a rare breed of comic: someone funny without having to be dirty. One wonders if a good clean comic could "make it" today.

Fair winds, boys. And thank you.

-Ed

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home