Friday, May 26, 2006

The Sounds of Silence

Well, it is the first day of my four day OC vacation. Why am I blogging? Well, for starters, there are no less than six unsecured wireless access points in the vicinity and my laptop seems to have just picked up on them. Perhaps the condo community provides free wi-fi. At least, that is how I am going to choose to think about it.

We were (are) slated for heavy thunderstorms, but the skies have been completely clear all day and I am now out on the back deck, feet propped on a railing, looking at a clear blue sky.

So, Linda is upstairs taking a nap. Friends are inside playing a board game. I am taking a moment to listen to something that I have not heard in a very, very long time: the sounds of silence... birds chirping... wind blowing... self breathing... leaves rustling ACK! Air conditioning compressor kicking in... (who puts the air conditioner on the deck, anyway?)

Nevertheless, it is a set of sounds I have not heard in quite some time.

From the deck I can see up a side street:



I've been watching families walk through the street, on their way to the beach. Or kids on bicycles. The occasional brooding teenager. But it all seems to fit quite nicely.

I am happy here. I am at peace. I needed that.

-Ed

1 Comments:

Blogger Playful Grace said...

Glad you were able to get away and find peace, especially as you always seem to have something going on.

I'm so envious you're at the beach. Living in the mountains, I never seem to get there anymore.

Have a lovely weekend, filled with more happy, peaceful moments.

6:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home