Thursday, May 11, 2006

I have a problem

I fully recognize that I have a problem. Several, in fact. However, this blog entry will just focus on one: graduate school grades.

Recently, I took a class in software project management. Now, I've been doing software for over 10 years (ack!) and I've even managed a few efforts. I got an A on every graded thing in the class: homworks, class project, mid-term, and final. Not surprisingly, I got an A in the class.

So, what's the problem? My teacher mailed me my final back and I got a "low A" on the final. He took off about 5 points that I just didn't agree with. And I'm bothered by this. Doing well in a part-time graduate school program is a given and we shouldn't really be sweating A's. It takes a little work to get a B, and you have to really, really try to get a C.

So, you assume the A for some classes and then just go about the process of learning without worrying about the numeric grade. It is silly and pedantic to write him back and ask for clarification on some points on the final. But I haven't yet convinced myself that I won't do this. Maybe I'll just wait until the final grades are officially turned in. 8)

-Ed

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home