Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Principles

Disclaimer
You know, re-reading this post, I think it sounds terribly arrogant. It isn't meant to be arrogant. I just know my computer science stuff, that's all. Keep that in mind as I opine. Thanks.
End Disclaimer

When I first started my graduate study, I was annoyed.

I was annoyed that I had to purchase cheesy fluff books that cost more than a good PDA. I was annoyed that I had to sit for hours each week and listen to someone drone on about something I could teach. I was annoyed that I had to be nice to people who opined on the subject of computer science with the insight of a baby carrot.

I'd spent over 10 years in the industry. Almost enough to be seasoned. Certainly enough to blow through the early coursework of a master's degree. I'd been tutoring people for money through their master's degrees since I was a junior in college. Needless to say, my opinion of advanced-degree programs was rather low.

I had always prided myself on being the intellectual underdog wherever I worked -- the person who was an expert without, paradoxically, a higher educational degree. I'm not sure of the origin of my disdain for academic accolades. Maybe it was the odd pleasure I took in correcting people with much more formal education than I.

Then I found myself in an academic institution. I was told, quite honestly, that I needed to get a higher degree or else my salary would max out faster than my Discover card at Christmas. Hence, I got annoyed, which was covered already at the start of this blog.

But, slowly, I have found myself coming to enjoy graduate school. A fact which, quite frankly, horrifies me. These classes are places where I can geek out to my heart's content. I can talk software for hours and, in some classes, I get to do that! More importantly, for the non-touchy-feely-fluff-discussion-crap classes I am learning why things are the way they are.

When you are trying to piece together a logical puzzle in industry, on your own, you tend to focus on the end result, ignoring the etymology of the science terms. Understanding why a certain equation is the way it is, and why systems work they way they work has been an absolute trove of geeky information for me.

Yes, the grading is based on the what and is a necessary but not burdensome evil of having to be graded. However, the why is what is truly intriguing to me.

For example, in class this evening we were going over techniques for doing something tedious and boring to a non-computer person. I had read the material and knew it up down and backwards -- at least to the level we were discussing it -- before class started. So, some theorem was put on the board and I took a little mental vacation as the teacher (who is very good) presented the material. On my mental vacation, I flipped through the text book, took some personal notes, trying to understand why a certain theorem was true.

Class ended, and I stayed after for a few moments. I went up to my teacher and asked "is this why that theorem is true?" He looked at what I drew on the blackboard, though a moment, and said "yes, exactly". We spoke about it for a while, and then I went home.

Did I need to do this to succeed in the "plug-n-chug" that will be the basis of my grade in this class? Absolutely not. However, I learned that the education from graduate school, at least at this level, will become what I make out of it and that is a very exciting prospect. So, I think I have found a way in which I can make graduate school worth my time (as something other than a means to a wage increase).

In fact, driving home this evening, I remember thinking that I was having the intellectual time of my life.

-Ed

2 Comments:

Blogger Phil Romans said...

After having some time seperated between undergrad and graduate work,I can see the benefits of school. To me it is exercise for your brain really. Training it to do different things without the constraints of the work enviroment, the home improvement time line, or even all your friends saying "Hey, I bet you can't do that!"

It is a wonderful enivoroment that allows you to figure it out, and if not has the people and resources in place, hopefully, to help you find the right answer.

Course this is coming from a guy who went to college and never really left.

Damn philosophy majors.

7:46 AM  
Blogger Playful Grace said...

You know what, I think that's great that you are enjoying the ride. And what a boost to go beyond and figure out the whys.

I've always been afraid of going back for the Masters, but then, I've got so much going on in my life, I don't think my brain is able to process too much more information than it already does.

So I say, Go you!

10:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home