Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Da Plane! Da plane!

I have thought, on and off, (for some years) about what it would be like to get a tattoo. Not some shoulder-encompassing or back-covering mural -- rather I want something small and reasonably tasteful. Sorry, mother, but I'm just not interested in the giant, maternally-labeled heart across the ol' bicep.

Were I to permanently ink myself the act would require some meaning. I am not a big fan of the standard (and in my opinion creativeless) patterns, corporate logos, or cartoon characters. Sure, some patterns look good, but to make such a permanent statement for mere decoration seems odd to me.

In fact, alot of tattoos look odd to me. Here are a few favorites:



This is a nice tattoo, for sure. What does it say about the person, though, other than that they want to look like a wrought-iron fence.




This one is more meaningful, as it says something specific about the tattooee. Apparently, she is trying to tell the world that her nether-regions whistle.




I am wary of putting anything permanent on my body that seems like it would be, well... part of a temporary phase. I would love to meet this guy when he is far older and watching out for the real Mr. Reaper. We must all realize, one day, that we will cease to be a threat to others -- but that is a different blog entry entirely.


Every once in a while I think about my ethereal tattoo. If I can ever find something meaningful to me that will fit in a 2"x2" square, I would get one. To date, my search, infrequent as it is, remains frustrated.

I wonder if anyone I know has a hidden tattoo. Several people in my dojo have them. Some of them quite large.

-Ed

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

very interesting and neat post. hoorah for tattoos
Casey

12:15 AM  
Blogger Phil Romans said...

And is there any way to find out what this tattoo will look like, say 30-40-50 years from now? Some sort of timelapsed aging software for tats.

7:42 AM  
Blogger Ed said...

Indeed! Yet another reason to keep any potential tattoo very, very small.

7:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home