Tuesday, January 17, 2006

I wonder

If people understand that my sophistry is sarcastic. That's the problem with having a (sometimes) dry sense of humor -- I say things outlandish but with such sophistic vigor that others might believe what is coming out of my mouth.

Making the weaker argument the stronger is a fun mental exercise -- and critical, in my opinion, to developing good debating skills. However, it has always been the case (and always will be the case) that truth is far removed from one's particular ability to present it.

A friend was talking about getting a shorter commute to work, to which I replied: "I would never want that. I meet so many interesting people on 95 each morning." He said "well, there's that" and changed course. Yes, I meet many interesting people on 95 each morning -- most of whom are actively trying to kill me. Sarcasm. Sophistry.

In speaking of answering essay questions, I espoused the ideal of "quantity over quality". Why answer the question? Just brain dump everything you know into the answer and the teacher must give you credit for something.

I have made people (cat lovers) pseudo-livid through my insistence that cats, as a species, fling feces. (That rhymed!)

Sometimes I think the overly serious way in which I approach my work and some of my more important hobbies makes me need to let off steam in silly, but thought-provoking ways. I enjoy the sarcasm. I enjoy the dead-pan. I enjoy the sophistry. But I enjoy them as personal entertainment.

And I think that, to varying degrees, we all engage in some such activity. It is far easier to sarcastically take sides with the ridiculous. It is far easier to define what we are not instead of defining what we are. If there are laughs along the way, that's all the better.

However, it troubles me that there may be some poor soul out there going "Ed tries to meet people in the mornings on 95, eschews quality, and loathes cats." Well, actually, if that is the worst people say about me I could live with that.

And I have personally seen our cat chest-duh mark his territory from 20 feet away. Little bugger has an arm better than most major league pitchers.

_Ed

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home