Sunday, January 22, 2006

Momma, Don't Take That Kodachrome

I'd like to believe that my life is a series of continual evolutions -- that we increase and better ourselves with each passing day. I'd certainly like to believe that, except I keep finding evidence to the contrary.

You see, I'm in my early 30's now and look something like the picture up at the top of this blog, which is maybe 2 years old. For most of my 20's I was pretty overweight. Actually, at my heaviest I probably was almost 300 pounds and, trust me, very little of it was muscle. Morale to the story? I'm in much better shape at 31 than I was throughout the first half of my 20s.

Which brings me to the worst picture taken of me in my life. The picture was taken on my first day of work at COMSAT. I was 21 and fresh out of college. I had groomed especially for the occasion; the picture was for my work "badge". The youngling that I was saw this badge as my ticket to the real world! It was my membership card to the self-sufficient land of the middle-class. My proverbial man card!

Who doesn't want to rewind history and slap a little sense into that kid?

But, please, without further ado, here is me at the tender age of 21:

I have no shame


I think we all need to understand that our lives are never linear evolutions -- we sometimes need to stop, rethink, and re-trace. Often, giving up the illusion of continuous improvement gives us the permission to redo. It took the guy in the picture above a good 5 years to figure that out.

-Ed

ps. Upon showing the picture to my wife and remarking "You know, that really isn't that bad of a picture" she responded, quite readily, "Oh.. yes it is." I'm sure there are worse out there. I just don't have the emotional strength to go looking for them right now.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's very Buddhist of you, Ed!

4:48 PM  
Blogger Ed said...

I take it you mean that, in my picture, I look like Buddha.

12:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home