Wednesday, January 18, 2006

NASCAR on Ice

I was in the kitchen this evening going through some mail, looking at what catalogs held bathroom-window-shopping potential -- and if you are reading this and are a guy you know exactly what I am talking about. Suddenly, I heard a series of noises from the television room. It sounded a little bit like laughter. Not a laughing giggle. Not a polite dinner-party chuckle. No, something was undergoing a series of diaphram-spasming guffaws a few rooms away.

My survival skills were engaged almost immediately. Had a wild beast broken into the house? Were my cats being beset upon by hyenas? Had someone tuned in Animal Planet and left the volume on high?

No.

My wife was watching "Skating with Celebrities" or, as she puts it, "NASCAR on Ice".

As an aside, I'm typing this entry on a laptop next to my wife in bed and she is laughing just remembering it... still laughing...there's a snort... gotta breathe, honey, gotta breathe...

What was I saying? Oh yes, NASCAR. We don't actually watch NASCAR, but I hear people watch mostly because of the possibility of a car wreck. Linda watches the skating show on the tantalizing possibility of a proverbial train wreck. Well, that and, apparently, Bruce Jenner looks like Herman Munster on ice.



Now, neither of us have much room to talk -- the last time we went ice skating I had to rent three skates, two for my feet and one for my behind. However, I am also not trying to skate on national television.

So we now have skating with the stars, dancing with the stars. I wonder, next season, what "Verb with the stars" show will have my wife in fits.

Juggling with the stars?
Ultimate Fighting with the stars?
Volleyball with the stars?

I propose "Starring with the stars". Remember, you read it here first. 8)

-Ed

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This still cracks me up! Good thing I didn't have the door open in my classroom - people might have feared an intruder or wild borscht-beast in the building. Herman Munster on ice . . . ha ha ha ha ha . . . I can still see him skating around on the ice . . . so stiff . . . *snort* ha ha ha.

8:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home