Wednesday, February 08, 2006

A big thank you

So many people have written to wish us well.

Thank you

The past two days have been an absolute whirlwind, between news, and class this evening. And our phone has been one steady ring. 8) And we love it.

Linda and I are very happy and very excited... more than we thought we would let ourselves be. Experience has taught us that things do not always go well, but our choice has always been to share and to celebrate.

Linda's grandmother passed away approximately one year ago, just shy of 90 years old. Linda recounts how, when she turned 89, she had wanted a big party. Some of her children thought a major celebration was premature and should wait until the more round number 90. It didn't seem like to odd a request to delay such events by one year -- we all like big, round numbers. Unfortunately, and in hindsight, that was not the best decision. Linda's grandmother didn't strike me as a "wait for it" person -- she struck me as an "eat the dessert first" person.

We collectively cannot avoid all the bad decisions we will make in life, but we can try and learn from the ones we do make. I've made a few bad decisions in my life (hell, in the past 30 minutes), and I've learned a thing or two, too. Life is too short to put off celebration. Life is too short to not give yourself permission to feel joy. Life is also too short to cook for you people, but that's a different blog entry.

So go to the movies. Eat dinner tonight using your china (blow the dust off of it first). Make that fire in the fireplace. E-mail that friend or family member you keep forgetting about. The dust will be there tomorrow. The clutter will be there tomorrow. The laundry will be there tomorrow. Heck, this blog will be here tomorrow, so stop reading and go out and do something. 8)

Back so soon? Ok, let's continue...

I've made that picture of my lentil bean my background wallpaper on my computer at work. At lunch today I took a moment and just stared at it. I even stared at it in stereo, because I have 2 monitors on my computer. My child is the size of a pea (pre-cooked size) -- with a heart. And there are no guarantees that my little pea will grow into a healthy baby. But again we tell everybody we can, and we feel giddy joy. Why take the risk of raising hope so early? Life is too short not to.

So, if you will excuse me, I will no longer harp on things that are in God's hands, not mine. If you need me, I will be hopping around someplace like a suger-rushed Tigger. And tomorrow night, we will be eating on China (and yes, Linda, I'll wash it).

-Ed

1 Comments:

Blogger Playful Grace said...

Wonderful post Ed, and so right on. It's funny, because I just saw the movie "Last Holiday" this weekend, then, I read your blog.

If we were to life life in celebratory fashion, think of how much less fear (remorse and regret) there would be, because we'd be focused on enjoying the moment.

Life is too short to focus on the what could be, what might be, what might have been, or what I should've dones...

Righ on, man. Right on.

9:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home