Tuesday, May 31, 2005

Learning to Use The "N" Word

I've finally done it. I've learned to use the dreaded "n" word. For the first time in my life I've had to utter it loud and clear to take a stand for what I have come to believe in and where I want my life to go.

I've done it.

I've said NO to something. I have refused an activity. I've turned down an offer.

No. No. No. No. No. No.

What did I say NO to?

Linda and I loved our weekend engaged encounter retreat. It's a weekend of relationship reflection that all couples must go through before they are married in the Catholic Church (you can do other things to meet the requirement, like night classes too). Alot of friends and coworkers always roll their eyes about the retreat, some scoff at it, others find ways to not have to do it at all.

Linda and I looked forward to it, and we had a blast. We wrote our little hands off and discussed each topic until "time" was out and we had to move on to the next one. It was a relationship retreat and as much as we communicate on a regular basis, it really did add something to our understanding of each other.

So, afterward, we kept in touch with the group that runs them and several months ago (almost a year now) we were asked if we wanted to help host them. We kept putting it off, liking very much the idea of presentingat the retreat, but knowing there was so much to do to learn *how* to be a good presenter.

We finally decided "no". We have too many things in our lives and I am sure they are not hurting for good couples.

So, mark this day. After almost a year of debate, Linda has gotten me to say no to something. Who knows... maybe the next no could come even sooner..perhaps after 8 months of debate. It seems such a slippery slope that, if I were not careful, I could be saying no to things after mere weeks of ponderance. Such negative haste is too unlike me.I won't let that happen. No.

Ack..another no... It's begun...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home