Thursday, April 28, 2005

You Load 16 Tons, And What Do You Get?

Four tons of topsoil was delivered to our house at 7am this morning. Topsoil is really a fascinating thing. It looks like dirt. It feels like dirt. In fact, it feels like the dirt we just took to Linda's parents house from the patio. But, somehow, it is not called dirt, it is called top soil.

As near as I can tell, top soil is latin for dirt that you pay money to have delivered.

The retaining wall is done. It has soiled itself which, in this instance, is a good thing.

The patio is *not* done. I forgot something.... the patio needs steps up to the screened-in porch! Not just any steps... Just any steps would be easy. Nonono, we wanted steps composed of leftover concrete pavers. So I went to Lowes and bought 8 six foot long 4x4's and put them into Linda's car.

And that's when I learned something amazing! Do you know what I learned?

When 7 of the 8 4x4s are in the car and you are trying to shove that last one in, and, unbeknownst to you, one of the 4x4s is up against the windshield, if you push REALLY hard you will break the windshield.

It's amazing, really, just how little force is required to put a Cretian maze of cracks in a windshield.

Driving home, 4x4's now securely nestled, I had the following conversation on my cell phone...

L: Hello?
E: Hey honey!
L: Hey Ed, did you get the stuff you needed.
E: You love me, right?
L: What did you do?
E: You love me right?
L: Of course I do.... what happened to my car
E: Because all that is really important is our love.
L: Oh God, howbad is it.
E: And, it's always most important that we have our health.
L: That bad, huh?

All in all, she took it pretty well. We had a short memorial service for the windshield when I got back home. Fortunately, Linda has off tomorrow and was scheduled to take the car in for an oil change anyway. Let's hope the dealer can get a new windshield this weekend!

-Ed

ps. Please, excuse the lack of picts. I was working outside until 9pm again tonight, then Linda and I went out to dinner with her folks (who stopped by to say hi and were drafted into 2 hours of dirt spreading).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home