Sunday, April 24, 2005

Any Port In The Storm



My love affair with port wine started approximately 10 years ago when I would take small sips of Ruby port from a bottle in my parent's basement. Burning all the way down, there wasa very warm and filling feeling to the drink (much unlike other things such as.. horseradish).

Ruby port is also excellent with cooked meats, not just as a drink but as a marinade. Steaks and even hamburgers get a distinctive "shot in the arm" with a little ruby port added to it. Sometimes, I put a little of the ol' ruby into my pasta sauce (depending, of course, on the kind of sauce). If the sauce would benefit from brown sugar, a little port would help out too.

Somewhere along the line, I decided to try something called Tawny port. It's like ruby port, but it's brown and tastes different. And costs more. Ok, maybe it is nothing like ruby port.

A good, aged, 20-year tawny port has a hint of caramel and brown sugar in it, with a good, smooth tummy-warming quality that smacks of sophisticated social lubricant. A good bottle of 20-year aged tawny is not cheap, but a little goes a long way and it is best saved for just the right occaision. Or not, as I just helped drink a bottle of it last night...

-Ed

ps. I learned the other day that "20 year tawny port" does not mean the port is 20 years old. Port is often made by mixing many years worth of wines and it can be called "20 year" port when it tastes like 20 year port.

pps. And yes, I know I should say porto.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home