Wednesday, April 27, 2005

Why Lebanon Matters?

I made a promise to myself that I wouldn't put political posts in my blogs. Plenty of people do that, and why my personal diary would need politics is beyond me.

But on a political blog that I do read from time to time, I saw this picture and it made me curious:



It had the text above it:

"Lebanon may be the only place in the world where you can buy a necklace with a Christian cross and a Muslim crescent moon fused together as one. What other country would even think of making something like this? I've never seen one before. But now I own two."

Regardless of religious affiliation, I believe it is the desire to not only wish for religious peace, but to actively promote it (especially in areas of the world where promoting it could mean your life) that has caught me on this.

Good luck, Beirut.

The material above has come from Spirit of America . I don't read the site, and I don't know its affiliations, but I thought that particular article was interesting.

-Ed

ps. My father used to tell a joke about politics. I always thought it was funny as hell. Most people don't get it. It goes something like this:

Two wives were talking over the fence one day about about their husbands.

W1: My husband never lets me make any important decisions at home.

W2: (shocked) That's terrible! What decisions *does* he let you make??

W1: He lets me decide what we eat, when we go out, how to handle the money, what kind of cars we buy, and where we go on vacation. Stuff like that.

W2: But, I don't understand, what other important decisions does he hold just for himself?

W1: Oh, you know, the important ones: Where the US should (or should not) go to war, who should be president, how the roads should be constructed, how to reform the church...

3 Comments:

Blogger Phil Romans said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

8:19 AM  
Blogger Phil Romans said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

8:20 AM  
Blogger Phil Romans said...

On U2's tour, for the song Love and Peace, Bono puts
on this headband:
http://tinyurl.com/dy7z9

Which is a combination of the three major religious
symbols. You can actually see what they spelled out on
the sticker on this trunk:
http://tinyurl.com/a233u

A very telling and interesting message.

8:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home