Sunday, September 24, 2006

The sound of.... silence?

I love the first days and weeks of a childs life. Most children, after their lungs have grown, go through some pretty amazing vocals. However, some children are also like that beforehand. Not Kaitlyn.

She has cried for, maybe, 5 minutes from 7am this morning until now, which is 11:30pm. Why the 5 minutes of crying? Daddy took a very long time to change her diaper, and change her clothes. We've been on a pretty good schedule, which her only being awake about 4 hours in the middle of the night, and she continues to sleep or otherwise quietly "hang" most of the day.

In the hospital, this knack for quietude had me so nervous that I kept asking if the baby was OK... shouldn't she be making any noise? The nursery nurse just told us "no, it is OK, count your blessings as you have a baby with a sweet disposition".

So, as instructed, I am counting my blessings because my baby has a sweet disposition. Two days at home and Linda and I are well fed, well rested, and happy. I'm not nieve enough to think that this will continue for the next several months, but it is the order of today and we are enjoying it to its fullest.

Oddly, I think some of my friends and family are "staying away" because they are concerned about how we are adjusting to this time. We had dozens of people visit us in the hospital, and we had a big party on Friday evening when we came home from the hospital. Then.... almost no visitors at all over the weekend. 8(

We've always been social people and are anxious to show Kaitlyn off, especially when she is being so very sweet and friendly. Hopefully by the time people start coming around, she hasn't hit her lung-growth-spurt! 8)

-Ed

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home