Thursday, February 09, 2006

Getting In Hot Water

There comes a time in all of our lives when we need to get into a little bit of hot water. And if that water happens to be sitting in a large bucket outside your house, with a few jets in it, all the better.

About 2 years ago, when Linda and I moved into our house we had a small financial windfall and decided to splurge on a hot tub. For over a decade my sister had a hot tub, and more recently good friends of mine had bought a hot tub. They are great for parties and given my advancing age and propensity for activities that abuse my body, a quick soak here and there is a God-send.

We have a Hot Springs Grandee, which looks a little bit like this:





Except ours is partially sunk into our deck out back.

Sometimes, over the winter, we have people over and we always extend an invitiation to bring bathing suits for a dip in the tub. People often wonder if it is too cold to get into a hot tub. Surely when it is 20 degrees outside sitting in your bathing suit is not a good idea!



How some may envision winter tubbing


Such people have clearly never owned a hot tub!

The main purpose of the thing is that the water is hot (although we keep ours at a balmy 100 degrees). There is nothing nicer than taking a bottle of wine (or port!) and sipping a glass (or two!) while getting a nice aquatic massage and looking up at the stars. The mist rising from the water keeps the air above the tub nice and warm. Once, after a snow, Linda and I stayed in the hot tub for over an hour, just taking in the peaceful, muted scene of a snow-covered backyard.



In a spa, you don't feel the cold.


Sometimes, I would cart a small television outside, run a long cable cord, and pop some popcorn and we would float in the tub and watch some television shows for an hour or two. 8) There really are no rules for when to use the tub, or how. In fact, I prefer the winter time as the water is never too hot. One generally does not want to sit in 100 degree water when it is 100 degrees outside. 8)

Now that Linda is pregnant, I wondered if I would still enjoy time spent out there alone. Monday night was the first time I got in the tub in quite some time because of this fear. While I didn't stay in for hours, my 30 minute dip was as calm and relaxing and quiet as one could hope for, and it did wonders on my aching back.

So here is a little tribute post to my hot tub. Thanks for working out some stress this week. And for those who come over for dinners and poker nights you need no invitation. My tub is your tub -- it always was, and it always will be. If you ever need some hydrotherapy, just give me a ring. 8)



-Ed

2 Comments:

Blogger Playful Grace said...

I remember the first time I sat outside in a hot tub, but myself. I was spending the night with Pook at my friend's house (her back yard has a mountain in it, as does the front). She lives quite a ways out from town (takes them 5 days to return power to her, where for use it might be 1 day or a few hours).

Anyway, they were watching Pook while I ventured outside in the chilled air. It was pitch black. Now, I'm a wee bit scared of the dark, and walking out on their porch was scary. At first, I had the lights on in the tub (they don't really have back porch lights), but then, I dared to turn them off and float in the silence of the night.

With the lights off, I could see the starts in the sky, and hear the call of the owl over the bubbles. At one point, I stopped the bubbles and listened. It was SILENT. No cars, not even crickets, just quiet.

I've spent one other night in that hot tub with two other friends on the night of a full moon, it was really cool.

But I'll never forget that first night on my own. It was scary on many levels, but by the time I got out, I'd discovered something incredible about. :)

So ENJOY you lucky dog! Maybe, just maybe, I'll have my own hot tub one day. Or, maybe, I need to visit my friend again. :)

8:17 AM  
Blogger Ed said...

As soon as I can move my arm again, I am sitting these weary muscles in it for a good long soak.

I've hoping for snow this weekend, as that is the best hot tubbing weather.

12:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home