Monday, June 20, 2005

Sunglasses Snob

I have a confession to make (yeah, I know what you are thinking... just one?). Yes. Today, I have just one confession to make:

I am a sunglasses snob.

I like nice sunglasses. Sunglass hut sunglasses. RayBan sunglasses. Polarized lenses and carbon body sunglasses. My last two pairs of sunglasses cost over $100 each, 3 and 7 years ago, respectively.

This is a passion and a weakness which has caused me to bear much chiding over the years. My brother-in-law swears his dollar store sunglasses are indistinguishable from mine. Once, he even took mine home by "mistake". How one can mistake these two pairs of sunglasses is beyond me! I knew the minute the injection-molded plastic hit my face that the tinted plastic I was looking through did not comprise my dear sunglasses. I would have called my bro blind except I have a feeling that the blind have too heightened a sense of dark glasses and white canes and would be deeply offended.

Three years ago I bought my last set of expensive sunglasses: Ray Ban Daddy-O RB 2016's with polarized lenses. Aren't they terrific?



About a month ago, I broke my Ray Ban Daddy-O RB 2016's. I left them in my car, with the windows up. The heat coupled with them being crammed in a drink holder, must have weakened some bond. Attempting to put them on, one of the "ear arms" fell off as I lifted the glasses to my face. I may try to glue them back together.

In a mad dash I went to the Sunglass Hut at the local mall. Being such the sunglass snob, I could find nothing there that I liked. Not the Ray Ban selection. Not the Oakley sunglasses. Not the Arnette sunglasses. revo. versace. skagen. g-shock. Bah. Nothing would meet my needs, regardless of paying $50.00 or $500.00.

Running out of time before the cruise I took my plight to my wife. That's what guys are supposed to do. Linda would help me find my pair of sunglasses, and tell me it was OK to spend the money on them.

Hoooo boy, does that sound funny in hindsight.

A short talk later me and "Mrs. Fixit" were cruisin' the local Target picking up underwater cameras, sunscreen and... yikes a $10 pair of Cherokee sunglasses.
But these glasses, they felt solid, but smooth. The lenses not polarized, but well tinted, and I liked the way I looked in them. Worse, after having lived with them throughout the cruise, I have found that I have enjoyed having them.

This puts me in an odd position. I am a sunglasses snob who is secretly wearing a cheap pair of $10 Cherokee sunglasses while my $130 Ray Ban sunglasses sit, unfixed, in my office.

Yeah, I get it... "what great problems weigh on your mind, oh shallow one". But, I am sure (with a little elbow grease, pixie dust, and creative license) a good life lesson can be gleaned from between these lines.

1 Comments:

Blogger Phil Romans said...

I've stuck with the one pair (well, same model, two different pairs) that I acutally like for the past 10 years, the Oakley Eyejacket.

The first pair the arms kept snapping. I replaced each arm twice. Then they stopped making that version because of that problem, and no free replacements. It wasn't like I was sitting on them! I think 3 of the 4 times I was taking the glasses off and they snapped...

3:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home