Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Speeching

A good friend of mine was married this past weekend, and I had a chance to speak at his wedding. I have loved public speaking ever since I was a kid. I did all the "optimist's club" contests, won a few trips in my day, and grew up with Italians and lawyers in the family.

Speech is in the blood.

El groomero uno is a pretty nice guy and he and his wife make a pretty perfect couple, so writing nice things to say about them was easy. But I just had to share one portion of the speech as it got a pretty good laugh:

------

If you knew me you might say "Ed, you have only been married 2 years. How can you possibly think you have been married long enough to dispense advice?" To answer that, I will point you to my wife, Linda. Many times, she reminds me of just how much marriage experience we really do have. In fact, this morning she turned to me and said: "Ed! Being married to you for 2 years is like being married to anyone else for 20!"

------

Several times during the evening strangers would approach us and say (to Linda) "You have to put up with this guy, eh? Good luck!" And we would all get a big laugh.

I'd like to think the bride and groom (and others) heard some of that advice, because it was advice given to (not invented by) me and it has served Linda and I quite well for our 2 short years. But, it is equally likely that what was memorable in the speech was the self-deprecation! 8)

--for those who heard the speech--
For those wondering, the witnessing of your life idea was from the movie "Shall We Dance". It's worth watching the movie for that series of quotes alone.

-Ed

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home