Monday, June 20, 2005

Ouch

I have a treadmill in my basement. You already know that if you've been nosing around here for any decent amount of time. You may even infer that I had been using it on a daily basis and, if you did, you would be correct.

I walk on the thing. I jog on the thing. One day, I will run on the thing. Right now 20 minutes of jogging sandwiched between 20 minutes of walking is plenty for this "large-framed" male.

I even went to the gym 7 times on my 9 day cruise. Clearly, the 7 pounds I seemed to have gained is all muscle, but that is a different post altogether.

You see, I bought a tool, a treadmill. Now, as every guy can tell you, the only thing you need once you have a tool is another tool to help you better utilize the first tool.

Let me give you a woodworking example...Once you have a table saw, you need a router to edge the wood you cut, which needs a router table to edge cleanly, which needs a drill press to make custom throat plates, which needs a work table to hold the drill press, which needs a set of vices to hold your work pirces, which need clamps to hold pieces not in the vices, etc.. etc.. you get the idea.

What tools do you need with a treadmill? A television (check). Some music (check). A shelf to hold water (check). Some comfy shorts and t-shirts (check). A nice set of running shoes! Running shoes are the perfect tool to pair with a nice treadmill.

So, right before the cruise Linda and I went to Dicks sporting goods to buy a pair of running shoes (this was the same trip that brought home the punching bag and, no, I have not broken my wrists yet).

I got the best running shoes in the world. Good arch support, a very wide heel area for "bigger guys" to provide good ankle support and cushioning. The next night was a "jog" night, so I put them on and did my hour on the `mill.

Oh sweat lord, the pain was incredible. About half way through the "program" my right arch was absolutely *pounding*. Not to be deterred, I turned up the TV volume and buckled down, to jog through the pain. The adrenaline rush took the edge off, and sheer willpower got my through the workout. That dedication, and working through that pain is a special thing that runners like to call "Being Extrordinarily Stupid".

My right foot, apparently, is flat (and subsequently bruised). No jogging for me for a while. I was hopping around on my left foot for days. Even getting on the cruise ship my right foot was throbbing.

Tonight is my first attempt to jog a little, and I am terrified of my new running shoes. Some web sites say to "stick with it" and after about 2-3 weeks the pain goes away as your arches get the support they need. I guess time will tell.

Until then, if you see me and I am limping, you certainly know why.

-Ed

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home