Monday, May 09, 2005

The Finished Retaining Wall

Previously, I had said before that the hardest part of building a retaining wall is getting that first row level.

I was right (of course) and I was wrong (of course). Once you get the first row dug in and level:



it then takes noticable effort to pick bricks that match well next to one another.

Why?

These bricks are like snowflakes. Big, heavy, concrete snowflakes. How? Every one is different.

After much effort, though, you get a wall that is snug and (hopefully) will stay that way.



"Big deal," you say. "You have a wall. Anyone can build a wall." and that's true. But tell me this: How many people can then backfill that wall with a few tons of mulch in an hour and the plant it before the cold, rainy drizzle comes? That's the real trick. And pulling it off involves having parents who are gardens.




And finally, visually, I can answer my mom's question of "why build a retaining wall"
(an inquiry she vehemently disavows)...

It's all about the garden.



-- recap --

A few days ago I noticed that a strange man was standing on my lawn staring at the retaining wall, walking back and forth in front of it, pushing on the stones, trying to wiggle his finger between the cracks.... Generally quite odd things. The ensuing conversation went something like this:

Ed: Hello? Can I help you?

Stranger On My lawn: Oh.. Hi. Sorry, I was just admiring your retaining wall.

Ed: Thank you! We just finished it. It was alot of work!

Stranger On My lawn: You did this yourself?

Ed: My wife and I. Yup!

Stranger On My lawn: That's amazing! I do this for a living. I'm a landscape architect and just came over to admire the work. You really matched the stones well.

This guy just went from stranger to instant friend. 8) Well, maybe not instance friend because I can't remember his name, but a hearty acquaintance nonetheless.

We spent the next 10 minutes chatting about mulch, drainage, and types of retaining wall flora. All in all it was a good encounter, and it's nice to know you've got a landscape architect in the neighborhood.

-Ed

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home