Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Reflections

I tell people we have a really good baby. I tell people that every chance I get. I also tell them that I know that this can change at any moment. This broadcast isn't so much about proclaiming our child in contrast to others, or about patting ourselves on the back for some ethereal parenting feat. It's meant to provide some positive reflection on the first month with a newborn.

So many people assume that the first month with a baby is going to be difficult. And, sometimes, it certainly is difficult. But it is not always difficult. If I had a dime for every person: friend, co-worker, or family member who warned me:

- You'll never sleep again!
- Get used to playing second fiddle (I don't play the fiddle)!
- Kiss those hobbies goodbye!
and the infamous....
- Just you wait, mister!

And, yet, this past 3 weekperiod has been one of the best and happiest in my life. We sleep plenty (because we didn't sleep that much before, maybe). As a family, we aren't second fiddle to each other, and my hobbies have gotten more life now then they ever had. Just me wait? Why couldn't this happen to me before?!

But, here is the kicker: when I tell people the specifics of what Kaitlyn does they say that's normal. These same people who proclaim about demon children, these same people who warn the parents-to-be, these same people who gleefully pull out popcorn in anticipation of the trials to come, these people all agree that our baby is mostly like they remember babies.

Kaitlyn cries to eat. She cries when she wants a diaper changed. Most of the rest of the time she sleeps, coos, or just looks around. She'll eat every few hours, and is learning to do some longer stretches at night. No biggie.

So... why are Linda and I happy as clams? (how happy is a clam?) Yeah, Kaitlyn is a little less fussy than the average bear but I don't buy that as the sole reason. I think it has to do with attitude.

I don't have to change a diaper, I get to change a diaper.
I don't have to feed the baby, I get to feed the baby.
I don't have to play with the baby, I get to play with the baby.

See a theme? There is fun in everything that we do, if we only had the insight, creativity, and mindset to seek it out. How is sitting in front of a television more stimulating than watching a human being grow in front of you? How is playing a video game more valuable than providing care to another human being?

When faced with any responsibility we tend to see "fun" in those things that match our routines and see "work" in those things that do not. And, thus, there are those who suffer through and those who celebrate the very same things. Which is just a long-winded way of saying: it's all about attitude! After doing something I enjoy, I feel refreshed. After doing something that I just couldn't make myself enjoy, I feel exhausted, as if I have been swimming against a rip tide. So, I've found I get more done by doing things I enjoy.

I've learned to find stimulation in several otherwise mundane tasks. Far from being simple for it, I've found it takes a great deal of imagination, creativity, and energy. I've also found that thinking this way has made me often scratch my head when people warn me of the trials of most things in life.

So, please, let me adjust the Nike slogan of "Just Do It" and replace it with "Just Enjoy It".

Oops.. this is a rough, rough post but Kaitlyn is crying for a diaper change and I would rather change her diaper than finish and then edit this post. Maybe I'll get to it tomorrow!

-Ed

1 Comments:

Blogger Playful Grace said...

Excellent post.

3:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home