Thursday, January 05, 2006

In memorium

And this time, it is no play on words.

Last Sunday a 46 year old coworker of mine died suddenly of a heart attack.

Such loss, so suddenly and so young, caused a great deal of shock and sorrow this week. We were not close -- we worked on different projects in different areas -- so I cannot pretend to have known him as anything other than a familiar face in the hallway. I do know that he is fondly remembered by those with whom he did work.

What I can speak to is the ensuing, horrible recognition of the fragility of life. It is easy (too easy) to see ourselves aging gracefully in a rocking chair as we count down the years until our 100th birthday. For many that is simply not the case. For my co-worker, it was not the case by half.

At 31 you will not hear me complain about my life. I know some who never made it to 31. I've known others who never made it past 31. Yet the sentiment is incomplete -- it is tremendously difficult to be satisfied with what you have accomplished in your life while there is yet so much more to be done.

Perhaps the best we can all hope for is the cultivation of those family and friends who will continue our work in the fateful, off chance that we fall too soon.

A fund has been set up for his four children. I am sure a donation would be appreciated -- I know I will contribute.

http://www.offenbacherkids.com/index.html

-Ed

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home