Monday, October 16, 2006

I'm Still Human!

Once a month I host a poker night at my house. Nothing new there... I've been doing it for almost 4 years. Sometimes we have a very small crowd... 3 or 4 people. Sometimes, we wind up having nearly 20 people and, ultimately just wind up having a Friday night party instead of a poker night.

The poker night before Linda gave birth, only two people showed up. Now, it is bound to happen that for any periodic event amongst a set group of people there will be times when most people are all busy at once. The fact that this happened to have happened just as we were on the cusp of parenthood filled me with a few very silly doubts.

I'm pretty social and love to be surrounded by family and friends. All the time. 24/7. There was always a concern that by having a baby Linda and I would be put in New Parent Prison where single friends awkwardly don't know how to be with you, married friends don't want the reminder of when they need to have kids, and parents with kids now feel that you will need time alone. There is nothing intentionally wrong or malicious about New Parent Prison, it's just something that I dread, as I tend to be very social.

So, that poker night (which just wound up being a very enjoyable evening with my godson and his parents), made me a little afraid. This was a fear that, after this Friday's poker night, I no longer have.

We were slammed for poker night. I think I counted 18 heads at our gathering. So many that I know Linda and I did not get a chance to interact with so many people and I think we got in about 4 hands of poker before I had to surrender to just going about being a host.

Some people left early. Some stayed until 3am. Some beer was drunk, pizza was ordered, and I spend 3 hours in the hot tub with some port, some friends, and a very very understanding wife who went to bed early with Kaitlyn. Kaitlyn, who is already an extrovert like her daddy, soaked up all the attention and barely made a peep the entire evening.

So, a few "thank yous" are in order:

1. Thank you for not banning us to New Parent Prison
2. Thank you all for washing your hands, using purell, or, if sick, just not coming over.
3. Thank you for putting up with me not being able to interact or play as much poker.

I've been on a high since Friday evening, having spent several hours with so many friends (and family -- thanks for the chips, Lisa!).

-Ed

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home