Monday, June 12, 2006

And Goodwill To All

This weekend, Linda and I took several bags of stuff to goodwill. (Are you getting the impression that this weekend was a very full weeked? You should! It was...)

There was an enormous line at goodwill and the car in front of us was packed with stuff. While we were waiting "on deck" for this car to unleash its dontation Linda noted, with some surprise, that many of the things being unloaded were baby items.

In fact, many of the things be unloaded were currently on our baby registry! As each thing was taken from the back of this benefactor's car Linda ticked it off from "babies R' Us".... the Graco swing.... the Diaper Champ.... the stairway gate.... even certain toys. At some point, Linda looked at me and said, simply... "Go... get these things for me."

Getting out of the car, I approached this jolly old elf and explained to him my wife's condition, our impending parenthood, and the strange similarity between his junk and our need. I listened patiently as he talked about his two year old... his yard sale... his trip up to the goodwill store. I reiterated my wife's condition, our impending parenthood, and the strange similarity between his junk and our need.

He nodded, took his receipt, and drove off. Just like that, the stuff had been donated... I felt our material victory slip through my fingers. I had failed in my attempts for this Holy Grail. I got back in the car and said, simply... he donated them. We sighed, pulled our car up, and I started unloading.

Linda, however, had other plans. She walked up to the Goodwill guy and said... "Can we just have these items?" and the guy said... "yeah.. I don't care" So she began hunting through the mounds of child items piled by the door. Every time I took something out of the car, she put something in.

In went the Graco swing... in went the diaper champ.. in went the big plastic toy mailbox... the stair gate

We came home with more items than we left with. I will now be taking the next 30 days to sanitize and bleach everything, but we have also been able to remove several things from our gift registry.

So, with all apologies to Mr. White, one man's poison is another man's meat.

-Ed

3 Comments:

Blogger Phil Romans said...

At least you didn't have to play hide and seak for a sausage you didn't want in the first place to get all this stuff.

btw, now that you have the basement back, what are you going to do with all the spare space?

8:01 AM  
Blogger Ed said...

The basement will become the movie-watching-baby-playing emporium.

I've tried to convince Linda that since we saved $100 by going to Good Will we can now go out and purchase the 60" plasma tv for the baby's play room.

2:24 PM  
Blogger Phil Romans said...

I am very disappointed in you Ed, only a 60"?!

Come on, you gotta go big brother! Shoot for the new 103"!!!

3:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home