Saturday, April 28, 2007

Sunscreen

I've always been a sucker for visual media. Unfortunately, I'm too tired to turn that simple thought into a longer blog entry, so, for tonight, lucky you! 8)

I've been jumping around youtube and have found that for several popular songs, people have made "music videos". What is wonderful about these videos is that they are not commercialized and, instead, focus on some meaning of the song. Sure, sometimes the focus is a little monochromatic, but it sure beats the focus of many high-budget music videos of sex, lights, and closeups of the band.

When I listen to a song, I don't care what the band looks like, or what facsimile of fashion the lead singer chose that day. I like the song because it resonates with something going on in my life. So, I like the moving pictures that accompany the song to speak to those experiences. That and homemade videos have that amateur twinge to them that I really, really like.

One of my favorite songs is "Everybody is Free to Wear sunscreen" from Baz Luhrmann based on the essay by Mary Schmich.

check it out.

-Ed

3 Comments:

Blogger chumly said...

Youtube is additive, I hear they are starting new 12 step meetings because of it.

12:25 AM  
Blogger Ed said...

I wonder if they will post videos of those 12-step meetings to youtube.

Best to go there to search and see.

-Ed

12:47 AM  
Blogger robertus said...

I'm not wholly sure it's your aural preference, but there's some excellent examples of home-/fan-made music vids for underground (and "underground") hip hop. this one for Madvillain springs to mind.

-R.

5:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home