Tuesday, April 04, 2006

The speed of sound

I have decided that I will, starting now, start travelling a little faster than the speed of sound. It is my hypothesis that, with such velocity, I should stay a little bit ahead of whatever news is trying to reach me. I'll be ignorant, for sure, but after the week I've had, I could use a little ignorance.

Yes, you guessed it, this is one of those self-centered laundry-list blog entries that I cut on so much. No insight, no entertainment, just a list of where on earth I've been in the past week.

Last Tuesday
I went to the dentist! Yay! teeth cleaning! Yay! Forgot to get a blog in about that before all heck broke loose.

Last Tuesday
Last Tuesday morning, the day after we found out about Mark and Paula, my sister-in-law's sister succumbed to pancreative cancer. I have had a somewhat ethereal bond with my sister-in-law as this was the same disease that took my father some years ago. This woman was able to fight off late-stage pancreatic cancer for almost 3 years and passed away peacefully in her home with her husband.

Last Thursday and Friday
The vieweings were last Thursday with the funeral Friday.

Last Friday
Deciding that I needed the good company of some friends (and seeing as it was the last day in March) the March poker night was last Friday. Thank you, again, all who came out. It was good to have some laughs -- they had been few and far between last week.


Last Friday
Of course, my 10 page paper which was due Saturday morning was not completed yet, as I had spent the week mourning. So, it was up until 3am after poker night to get it all done.

Last Friday
Someone I knew called me and told me they were getting confirmed and asked if I would attend the service. There was some scheduling thing which explained the short notice and I said I would try to be there.

Last Saturday
Up at 7am -- I slept in! I make a mad dash to get cleaned up, and off to school, 35 miles away. I stay in class from 8:30am until 9:30am. Hand in my 10 page paper. I'm dressed up in a suit.

Last Saturday
Head from class to confirmation #1, 40 miles away at 10:30. Make it with about 10 minutes to spare. Hang out. Good times. Congratulations! It was a terrific service, and I'm glad I went as it gave me some nice, positive energy for the rest of the day.

Last Saturday
Head from confirmation #1 to confirmation #2, also 40 miles away. I'm my niece's confirmation sponsor and had to be at the church by noon. This was the longest confirmation mass I had ever, ever attended. We finished at 3pm. Old people were fainting in the back of the church, no lie.

Last Saturday
After a 2 hour nap at my sister's house, it was off to my niece's school play: a 6pm dinner of salad, popcorn, and inedible chicken (it really was inedible, and I'll eat anything) followed by a two hour 8th grade performance of a play called "When in Rome".

Last Saturday
Home at 10:30pm. Bed. Sleep.

Last Sunday
I've another piece of furniture in the works, pictures forthcoming. It should be done this weekend.

Tuesday
Today is my sister's birthday.

Tuesday
We had a Dr's visit. Project Lentil is coming along nicely. Heartbeat is strong and we are on target. Linda is super excited because she is gaining no more than the recommended weight and still looks hot in most of her clothes. 8)

Wednesday (tomorrow)
We are off to LaPlata, MD for Paula and Christen's viewing with funeral to follow on Thursday.

Whew. Unfortunately, all of this stuff just saps emotional energy and that is precisely the kind of energy I need to blog.

So, here is the laundry list, the play-by-play, the had-to-do list. Is this possibly interesting to those not me? Probably not -- I'll make no delusion that my daily comings and going are followed by others. But it does, hopefully, explain the absence from my blog site.

Content is coming.


-Ed

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home