Monday, October 24, 2005

Linda

There is something terribly, terribly wrong with my wife: this poor, unfortunate girl has the great misfortune of being married to me.

And that's no laughing matter. Being married to me is no easy task -- I have way too many projects and need to enlist her help all too often. That's right, the draft is alive and well in our household.

What started innocently enough as courtship (you know, cruises and beaches and theatre and movies and inns and nights out) has been slowly replaced. Replaced by what? Apparently, replaced by manual labor.

When we finished the basement in our old townhouse, she was in charge of the mitre saw:


Once the basement was built, we wanted to unpaint, then stain, our townhouse deck. That involved sanding. Lots of sanding. Nerve-damage-inducing sanding. She was there to sand a Herculean number of spindles:


As I was preparing for my JuJitsu black belt test many years ago she even let me toss her around a bit for practice.


When I was too cheap to hire someone to pour the concrete slab for our hot tub, she was there to spread the gravel.


When we did the patio out back, she was the primary sand-tamper:


The screened-in porch wouldn't have gotten a face-lift without her (and my sister Kathy):


And who do you think built up those blocks and mulch on the retaining wall?



So, you see, my poor wife is being worked to death. Many of these projects occured within the last 18 months. But she is a trooper - she never complains, she never quits, and she often does a better job than I. She has a better work ethic and home ethic than people twice her age.

Although, I think you may start understanding her saying:

Ed, being married to you for 2 years is like being married to anyone else for 20!


So this is just a short "shout out" to the wife, to say thank you for being one of the most active, handy and loving people I know.

This one's for you.



"There ain't no act of God, girl, could keep you safe from me"
Marc Cohen
"True Companion"
(Our Song)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home