Saturday, October 22, 2005

Senior Discounts



That cartoon is a little too universally applicable to be funny. Or maybe that's exactly why it is funny. The only question I have about the work is why on earth did he choose to "decorate" the cartoon woman to his right in that fashion??

---

I got a promotion at work yesterday. I'm now a "senior" member of the staff. I was trying to explain this to a friend of mine, and the conversation went something like this:

Ed: I got a promotion yesterday. I am now a "senior" member of the staff.
Friend: That's terrific. Congratulations. What are your new responsibilities.
Ed: Um.. I am now a senior member of the staff.
Friend: Yes. Good for you. Will you be doing anything different?
Ed: I can call myself a senior member of the staff.
Friend: Will you get any kind of pay raise with this promotion?
Ed: I might, now, qualify for the senior discount in the cafeteria.
Friend: Are there any compensational benefits to this promotion?
Ed: After I have worked there 5 years I get an extra week of vacation if I am a senior member of the staff, which I am!
Friend: Oh, well, how long have you been there?
Ed: 2 years. So, in another 3 years, that senior designation will kick right in!
Friend: Oh.. well.um. yes. congratulations. yes... congratulations...

That is of course, a little tongue in cheek. I work in an academic institution where there are two types of compensation: financial and reputational. APL has been good to me financially, and they are giving me a free ride to graduate school. Reputationally there are three things you can be at APL, an associate member of the staff, a senior member of the staff, and a principle member of the staff. You need to have worked qat the lab for at least 2 years before you are even considered for senior, so I guess I just made it on my anniversary.

While I have not been there long enough to learn how best to leverage reputation, I know I have one and I know in most circles there it is a positive one. I'm sure it will come in handy before my 5 year "extra week of vacation" anniversary.

And, if not, the designation of senior can just be one more thing reminding me of my advancing age.

_Ed

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home