Thursday, April 21, 2005

Why The Red Tar Pit

Why on earth is my blog called The Red Tar Pit? Now, that's a good question.

I know it's a good question because I don't have any sensible answer.

I originally wanted to call my blog "The Tar Pit" because I could see it slowly sapping time and energy to keep its content fresh. But, someone else already has a blog called The Tar Pit. Of course, looking at the tar pit blog one can't help but notice that it hasn't been updated since July of 2003 and the last update had the grammatical correctness of typing with your forehead.

So, sitting at my computer saying "tar pit" over and over (yeah that's right: tar pit tar pit tar pit tar pit) I was struck by just how much it sounded like "carpet". Hey, if it's one thing our brains do well it's pattern match. So I wanted to roll out the red carpet to people. Come one in! read my stuff! Be my guest, be my guest, put my service to the test!

Of course, there is already a blog called The Red Carpet. It was last used in October of 2002, apparently by an intoxicated e.e. cummings.

In the grand spirit of compromise, I came up with "The Red Tar Pit", a place where we roll out the red carpet and ask that you slowly get stuck in it. It is clearly not the greatest mental image and, perhaps, is indicative of why I am not in advertising. Well, the name is stuck (no pun intended) until a better one is thought up. Suggestions, of course, are welcome.

-Ed

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home