Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Thank you, Facebook.

My day started really well: Caught up on email and news, ate breakfast, drank a cup of coffee, unloaded and loaded the dishwasher, vacuumed, and battled a few ants all before Katie woke up and I brought her downstairs around 10:30 a.m.

As she played with her toys and ate a breakfast of cut up grapes and green beans, I cleaned the glass windows and doors and wiped down all the kitchen cabinets. Back to the green beans. I knew you were there. Yes, she actually chose the green beans from her basket of baby fruits and veggies. And yes, she ate the entire container. She's her daddy's daughter in this regard, both love their veggies.

After an episode of Backyardigans, a few books read, and some coloring, it was nap time. Off she went to her room (with my help) and then off I went to mop the kitchen floor. It really was a good day for cleaning. My mom called on the phone and I chatted with her about babysitting next week and I noticed my two cats pacing on the back screened in porch and staring intently on something on the patio.

I walked out to see what they saw; usually it's a chipmunk and I like watching them run around. But not this time. Oh no, it couldn't be something like a chipmunk. I saw

a snake! A long black snake with it's tail hidden behind the siding ON MY HOUSE!



I believe I screamed. My mother frantically asked what was the matter and I just kept saying over and over again: Oh my God! Oh my God! It's a snake! I have a snake on my patio! Oh my God!

I grabbed the camera and took a dozen photos of it for proof and identification purposes. Then, the thing turned around and slithered BACK UP UNDER THE SIDING ON MY HOUSE!



So I finished the call with my mom telling me to stay calm and assuring me that it was probably a simple garden snake, but leaving me a little worried about whether or not it would get into the house. Thanks, Mom.

I immediately sent out an email to my husband, my sisters-in-law and two friends who I knew would get a kick out this (the email to my husband was specifically to let him know what his husbandly duties were going to be when he came home from work). Then, the next thing I did, was update my status on Facebook and post some photos of the snake onto my profile asking for people to help confirm the type of snake and to give me some reassurance.

Facebook is absolutely amazing.

Within 43 minutes, I had my first response. Within one hour, I had three additional responses. Four people had identified the snake, sent me internet links, and contacted me. Did I mention that this happened within 60 minutes?

I am fascinated by this. I knew I would get some response eventually, but in less than an hour? A friend wrote to me that "Facebook is good for something (I had my doubts until now)."

Besides superpokin', playing Bingo, taking quizzes, sending hatching eggs, Facebook is actually good for something.

The consensus is that it is a black rat snake and is quite harmless.

Thank you, Facebook. Thank you.

-Posted by Linda

2 Comments:

Blogger Phil Romans said...

Yup, they can be a good thing for the house- if you can deal with them.

I was doing yard work at my digs, and found a snake that was probably 5 feet long. I left it alone obliviously... but it is nice to know there is someone doing some dirty work in the woods for me!

8:33 AM  
Blogger staciecm said...

Ugh, I hate snakes and the thought of one being in my yard isn't pleasant. You handled it with much more grace than I would have.

6:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home