Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Paint it Black

Linda and I had a wonderful dinner tonight with 5 other black belts from our dojo. We went to a nearby sushi restaurant and ate, drank, and talked for three hours. We reminisced about how long we have been doing the art (7 years for me, some more than 20), when we all first met, and, in general, what is so special (or wrong?) with people like us that we enjoy it.

I've never seen a more diverse group sitting around a table, but we all had one thing in common: JuJitsu. Our dojo has seens its fair share of broken bones, cracked ribs, bruises, cuts, dislocations, sprains... you name it, we've probably had it. Unfortunately, some of us have also taken some permanent damage. Some people, after just a little bit of "rough" turn the other way, and quick -- just not the others at the table tonight.

We were able to soak in that brotherhood and enjoy a long, satisfying, relaxing meal. I in no way try to hide that I've not been myself for some months. Graduate school was stressful to me in many different dimensions. My mother's continued illness and the peaks and valleys of my family's ability to absorb it are constant in my heart.

But not tonight.

Tonight was sushi, sashimi, dojo stories, tea, and -- for a little while -- the good, old me. What a wonderful Christmas present.





-Ed

ps. under some small peer pressure, I was also coaxed into eating a small, whole, baby octopus...



Wow...

1 Comments:

Blogger Phil Romans said...

Please tell me the thing was at least dead. =)

4:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home