Wednesday, August 17, 2005

FORE! (Backlog item 2/10)

My uncle Ralph is a good golfer. He's good at alot of things, but he is especially good at golfing. He's won cars, turkeys, esteem (not so sure about money...) through his golfing prowess. Looking over his golfing career there was really only one thing marring his good record:

He was never quite able to teach his nephew how to golf. He personally tutored him, got him lessons with other golf pros, invested untold hours recounting chipping and pitching and putting tips. And yet, it never fully took.



Computer Simulation of Ralph Teaching His Nephew


But, with a little persistence and patience, his tutelage stuck. Linda and I went out golfing at a local "executive" course and I shot a 76. Now, I'm sure it isn't the most "in regulation" 76 in the world. We took a front and back mulligan, and one or two putts left on the lip were "counted". I certainly had more than my share of humiliating "three-putts"

But, the score wasn't the point. The point was, I went to a short course (which emphasises putting and chipping) and didn't make a complete fool of myself. For that, I am very, very happy.





Linda, also, did terrific. I still remember the last hole of the day: a 330 yard par 4. She hit her driver. Followed up with a fairway wood to the green, and got it in the hole with 3 putts. She had her share of pars that day, but this was a long hole for her, and she did a terrific job of getting the ball to go the distance.

We can't wait to get back out there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home